Do you believe in the no pain, no gain” approach to exercise?
Recently I noticed that a couple of my neighbors have taken to the road in clothing that resembles a garbage bag. I am assuming that this attire is about causing increased sweating and increased weight loss.
It amazes me that the ladies are so willing to put themselves through such torture in the name of fitness.
Is exercise about sweating?
Is shedding fat and toning muscle all about sweat?
Why is physical fitness so important anyway?
Sedentary Death Syndrome (dying because you don’t move your body) will rob you of your quality of life and kill you prematurely.
When you choose inactivity, you choose to suffer.
Do YOU have to sweat to feel better?
There are three sides to the fitness triangle. Not all of them involve sweat.
In fact, you can achieve fitness without any significant sweating.
Life is really worth living when you have a spring in your step and a twinkle in your eye!
What 3 areas need attention in order to achieve fitness?
If any side of the triangle is weak, you will have a break in the fitness chain, usually in the form of an injury.
If ALL sides of the triangle are weak, you will live with chronic pain and/or illness.
With a little dedication and common sense, you could maintain a sound fitness triangle.
It is much easier to maintain strength and fitness than it is to build it from your sick bed.
- Resistance is the secret to gaining strength. Be creative. Lifting your arms above your head five to fifteen times, several times a day is some resistance you are bound to notice. (Add hand weights when it gets too easy.)
- Taking the stairs will give you a workout you will feel when you sit down. The muscles you sit on are some of your largest.
- Strong stomach muscles are incredibly useful for all of your daily activities.
- Muscles of the shoulder chest and back are often the weakest. (Your recliner chair robs your strength.)
- Remember, if you lose your muscle, you will lose your bone! That is a fact!
- Getting your heart rate up and keeping it up is the only way to gain endurance.
If there is a secret to sustained activity, it is staying aerobic. You have to maintain oxygen rich blood in order to benefit from your efforts to build this side of the fitness triangle.
In order to effectively burn fat, and strengthen your cardiovascular system while you are engaged in your endurance building activity, you need to maintain a high level of readily available oxygen in your blood.
- If you are oxygen deprived you will not grow your endurance.
- If your activity stops and starts frequently, it is not sustained activity and will not build endurance.
Stretch Your Flexibility
In this post we are talking about physical health, but it is worth mentioning that being flexible with your life circumstances is always health building for you and those around you.
- The secret to flexibility is to explore each joint in your body and find its comfortable range of motion.
- If you are consistent with your daily practice, your range of motion will increase.
- Consistently increasing your range of motion will elevate your mood.
Scientists have proven this mood connection, as have countless yoga students.
- Many ancient forms of healing utilize this valuable philosophy.
Do you see how a common sense approach, making an effort to balance Strength, Endurance and Flexibility, can get you were you need to go?
You want to be strong, because strong FEELS SO GOOD! Click on the link below to find out how fitness can help you kick ass in the world!
Why Is Physical Fitness So Important?
Carrie Tucker, RCP
The Life Breath Coach
Heart Failure Solutions
PS– Remember everyday:
- Relax and Release tension
- Exhale Slowly
- Be active in a way that adds joy to your life
Plus pure water ~whole foods~sunshine~and laughter