What’s your definition of happiness?
Did You Know That Your Health, Wealth, and Happiness Depend On Your Breathing?
In fact science tells us that your breathing will determine the length and quality of your life!
Count your breathes per minute. Is it under 10/minute? You might want to have someone else count, since as soon as you put your focus on your breathing you alter it.
Lung volume is a primary marker for how long you will live, but breathing efficiently is much more than taking a deep breath.
Bad breathing habits erode healthy breathing without you even noticing.
Past the mid twenties the average person loses 9–25% of their lung capacity per decade!
When I started teaching rehabilitation, I thought that the cause of this decline in lung function was from “couch potato syndrome”. You know, from not moving enough.
Inactivity sure has a lot to do with disease, but I saw folks who were always working and pushing themselves too hard!
They weren’t lazy, but they had rapid-shallow-breathing and they just couldn’t seem to catch their breath!
Do you know why these hard working folks suffered the same shallow breathing that couch potatoes do?
Chronic shallow breathing makes EVERYTHING hard!
Just basic eating, bathing, and walking gets progressively more difficult when you are plagued by chronic shallow-breathing.
Do you ever feel like you can’t catch your breath or your breath is pinched off, just shy of satisfying?
Rapid shallow breathing is the result of:
- bad habits
- suppressed emotions that keep you from allowing your exhale
- physical trauma, and spinal injury/misalignment
- poor posture/ slouching
- toxic stress
- poor nutrition
- chronic inflammation
Sacred Breathing is not easy, but consistently practicing simple techniques WILL yield great results that will profoundly impact your health, wealth and happiness.
As a caregiver, your job often comes down to inspiring your patient or loved one to help themselves.
When you take care of people for many years they start to feel like family even if you aren’t related. For most of my patients, I was one of their last friendships.
They didn’t get the opportunity to nurture relationships so as a result, they didn’t have many.
Disability is very lonely, and depressing.
It was heart breaking to hear some of their sad tales. Many of my home oxygen patients had lost a child to drowning, bike accidents, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Some had such extremely sad tales that I found myself reminded of my mortality just sitting next to them while they shared it.
Trauma stays with you long after the event is over.
As a mother, I can’t imagine anything worse than having to bury one of my children. The thought makes me hold my breath.
When life hits you like a truck, it effects your breathing pattern. In that moment, you become unable to exhale.
The emotional trauma stays trapped in your cells until you are able to allow it some expression, or until your rapid-shallow-breathing causes your demise.
Early childhood memories can be very confusing. The baggage that you carry with you thorough out life does not have to be such a burden. I don’t recommend lying on a doctor’s couch to discuss it at length. Reliving the past is as potentially harmful as it is potentially helpful.
Identifying the cause of your rapid-shallow breathing may be helpful and then again it may be completely unnecessary. Sacred Breathing simply requires you to allow your emotions expression while you work at releasing tension and resistance.
You don’t have to understand your emotions.
You only need to allow your emotions to rise up, witness them and allow them expression:
- No need to be frightened, painful emotion only feels like it will kill you. Allowing your emotions expression may take no more than exhaling them.
- If tears are required, I invite you to visualize the rising emotion being released in your tears and try not to think in order to prevent resisting the emotion and suppressing it again.
- If anger is hard for you to express without hurting someone, you may want to work on in privately before you confront another. Anger is a useful relationship tool when it is used appropriately. Hurting others is really only appropriate in self defense.
- When it’s the Truth that hurts, your goal is to give your Truth with Love. It doesn’t mean that the truth won’t hurt, but it won’t be a double edged sword that will harm you as well.
- Cultivating stillness is a great way to allow emotion to bubble up to the surface a little at a time. Stillness means intentionally allowing space for emotional release. (This method is much more palatable than suppressing emotion until the dam breaks and you drown in your own emotion.)
Slowing down is a must when tension is squeezing you to death.
Are you a people pleaser who just can’t slow down long enough to smell the roses? Let me tell ya about one of the most people pleasing ladies I ever met.
Tomae was a “people pleasing” lady who was so used to the busy pace of her life that she couldn’t slow down even when she was sick and ailing.
When I called to schedule a routine visit at Tomae’s home, she would never let me come by without scrubbing every inch of her floor. I begged her not to. Even offered to scrub the floor for her. However, the look on her face told me she’d rather die than let me scrub her messy floor!
Tomae suffered SO much, and passed away far too soon, because she just would not respect her limits.
Pushing yourself past your limits causes tension to accumulate.
Accumulate tension and you will not breathe very well:
- Tension squeezes your lungs, and the only way to breathe more deeply is to routinely release the tension.
- Forcing air causes increased tension.
- Inactivity causes weakening of your breathing muscles making tension even more harmful.
- Your muscles pull your lungs open, but you exhale by elastic recoil. Tension works against both.
- Sacred Breathing causes emotion to be processed slowly with less resistance and easy release.
Processing even painful emotions is as simple as slowly exhaling!
Exhale your pain and make room for a whole lot more Joy!
As the “Life Breath Coach” I teach an Action Plan I call BLESS.
It works like gang busters to cause healing for the individual that radiates out into their community.
B – Breathe
Learn how your breathing makes you sick and what you can do about it.
L – Love
Learn how to navigate life from your heart space. Love really IS the answer.
E – Eat
Discover why it is more difficult to nurture your health with food than it use to be.
S – Sit
It is difficult to cultivate Stillness in this day and age, but it is an important key to your healing.
- Seek Quiet Stillness
- Invite Natures Healing Power
- Take Time To Connect
S – Speak
Sacred Breathing will create miraculous healing and give your Voice strength.
Use your Voice to tell your story to give others hope to heal!
Heal Your Heart
Lift Spirits To Raise Hope
Put People First
Will Yours Be the Next BLESSed Life?
Become a member of the “Life Breath Club” today!
Click on the link below to learn more about member benefits.
This is a private membership to protect your medical privacy.
Carrie Tucker, RCP
The Life Breath Club
Heart Failure Solutions
PS– Remember everyday:
Relax and Release tension
- Exhale Slowly
Be active in a way that adds Joy to your life
Plus pure water ~whole foods~sunshine~and laughter